The bachelor’s to MD (B/MD) Pathway to Medicine program is an innovative program offered by the IU Indianapolis School of Science in connection with the IU School of Medicine.
Bachelor's to MD (B/MD) pathway to medicine program
Starting in the fall of 2024, the program provides a direct path to admission at the IU School of Medicine for eligible first-year students directly admitted to the School of Science.
Students within the program will be supplied a foundation for medical education through special curriculum, academic advising, mentoring, MCAT preparation, and clinical or research experience.
Two degree tracks
Students who wish to enter the B/MD program will have two tracks to choose from.
This is the accelerated path.
After admission, students will complete all IU Indianapolis general education core and medical school prerequisite coursework at the School of Science in three years. The remaining four years of coursework will be through the IU School of Medicine.
This is the traditional path.
Students will complete four years of education at the School of Science, and the remaining four at the IU School of Medicine.
To qualify for the program, prospective students must:
- Earn an SAT score of 1,400 or above, with at least a 670 in math, or earn an ACT score of 30 or above.
- Have an unweighted, high school GPA of 3.7 or higher.
- Arrange for a high school or college teacher, school counselor, or principal to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Write an essay explaining why you’re interested in the program.
- Have a Permanent Resident visa or be a U.S. citizen at time of application.
Due to the highly-competitive nature of this program, not all students who meet requirements will be accepted into the B/MD Pathway program.
It’s essential students within the B/MD program meet, and continue to meet, all requirements of this academically rigorous pathway, including:
- the fulfillment of a yearly GPA threshold.
- IU School of Medicine prerequisites.
- taking the MCAT no later than September of the year prior to matriculating into IU School of Medicine, scoring at least a 512 (with no sub-score below 125).
The majors eligible for this program include:
- Biology (BS, BA)
- Chemistry (BS, BA)
- Forensic & Investigative Sciences (BS)
- Neuroscience (BS)
- Physics (BS)
- Psychology (BS)
How to apply
The deadline to submit the B/MD application for fall 2024 has now passed.
We will begin accepting applications for the fall 2025 B/MD Pathway to Medicine program on August 1, 2024.