The program is restricted to majors from chemistry, biological sciences or interdisciplinary combinations thereof.
- Rising junior students are eligible to apply to the Beckman Scholars Program. Research begins at the start of the summer term.
- Beckman Scholars must be full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing at time of application and for the award duration.
- Beckman Scholars must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions. The ideal Beckman Scholar will exhibit evidence of grit and determination. Our goal is to identify students who will strive for excellence but are not afraid of making mistakes in their pursuit of scientific knowledge. A key indication of success in research is prior research experience, and therefore we will require a letter from a student’s research mentor commenting on their research and communication skills as well as their promise as an undergraduate researcher. Students from underrepresented backgrounds who have participated in research will be viewed especially favorably.
- Genuine interest in, and passion for, scientific research (beyond major requirements) and scientific leadership; in pursuit of PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or other advanced scientific training.
- Ability to commit to two summers of full-time research (10 weeks at 40 hours week) and part-time research during the academic year in between (10 hours per week).
- Scholars must be willing to pursue an independent research project under the auspices of an approved full-time Beckman Scholars faculty mentor.
- Past and/or present laboratory research experience is crucial.
- Students who possess strong oral and written communication skills, and demonstrated leadership are encouraged to apply.