The IUPUI School of Science animal care facility, the Science Animal Resource Center (SARC), is maintained to support the research and teaching missions of the School of Science faculty and students. The mission of the University is undergraduate and graduate education, and to that end, the University recognized the link between research and a quality educational experience. SARC aids in those teaching and research missions of the School of Science.
IU is required by various regulatory agencies to provide training for all personnel listed on any of our animal research protocols. You will find a comprehensive list in the training application. If you have questions about the application or training process, please contact us.
CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) is an electronic training system used by many universities nationwide. In order to work on animal research protocols reviewed by the SOS IACUC, you need to complete CITI training.
CITI's electronic-based training is set up with a separate module of lessons for each type of animal used in research. Once you complete all of the training it is good for 5 years. You will be notified when to renew it. If you have active CITI training from another institution, please contact us.
- Log in to CITI with your IU username and password. Additional information about creating an account and/or logging in is available on the CITI Training at IU website.
- Under the Indiana University/IU Health courses, go to the section in the bottom half marked 'My Learner Tools for Indiana University/IU Heath' and click on "Add a course."
- Everyone named on an animal research protocol is required to complete the following:
- Question 12 - School of Science - Lab Animal Research
- SOS - Working with the IACUC - Investigators, Staff and Students
- The CITI training module(s) pertaining to the particular animal(s) involved in your research
- I work with (particular animal)
- Your course selections are shown. The status column will reflect your progress (Not Started, Incomplete, and Complete). You may leave the modules at any point and return where you left off.
- Begin on any course. Complete The Integrity Assurance Statement before beginning the course.
- Upon entering any course, CITI will show you the Required Modules. The Supplemental Modules are optional. The system requires you to take all of the modules in order to complete the course. You may leave the modules at any point and return where you left off. CITI will record completion of each section and course.
- Continue taking courses until finished.