minus plus magnify speech newspaper atomic biology chemistry computer-science earth-science forensic-services globe info math matrix molecule neuroscience pencil physics pin psychology email share atsign clock double-left-chevron double-right-chevron envelope fax phone tumblr googleplus pinterest twitter facebook feed linkedin youtube flickr instagram
Student sitting at microscope and looking up

Post-Bachelor Pre-Professional

Interested in pursuing a health-related or law career, but have prerequisites to complete? Post-baccalaureate students (non-degree seeking) whose goal is to enter professional health programs have access to pre-professional and academic advising with the Science pre-professional career preparation office (PREPs).

Why choose this program?

Interested in pursuing a health-related or law career, but have prerequisites to complete? Post-baccalaureate students (non-degree seeking) whose goal is to enter professional health programs have access to pre-professional and academic advising with the Science pre-professional career preparation office (PREPs). 

Need your advisor to sign your Non-Degree Prerequisite Coursework Verification form? Contact PREPs.

See all Pre-Professional Pathways

What will you learn?

If you're a post-baccalaureate student whose goal is to enter professional health programs, the IUPUI School of Science offers non-degree seeking prerequisite classes that give you the skills to be successful in your chosen career path. We offer pre-professional academic advising where you'll create a road map of classes related to your career goals.

See the list of common pre-requisite coursework.

What will you do?

Post-baccalaureate students (non-degree seeking) who choose to take prerequisite Science classes for their career goals will be ready to pursue a professional health or law career. Post-baccalaureate students (non-degree seeking) who choose the graduate certificate are public health professionals seeking the opportunity to continue their education while working.

Learn how to get started


If you have already completed a bachelor degree at IUPUI or another institution and you are wanting to work on pre-requisites only for a professional program, you will need to apply to the University through the Admissions Office as an Undergraduate, Non-Degree Seeking student. You may do this online at iupui.edu/admissions or at the IUPUI Campus Center - Room 255- 317-274-4591.

It can take the Admissions office approximately 4 weeks (times may vary) to review your application for admission. Please plan accordingly. 

Your GPA from your previous institution will remain the same and a new GPA will be initiated with your pre-req coursework at IUPUI.Professional programs will see GPAs from all institutions you have attended. 

Grades from previous universities bachelor degrees will not transfer here. If you feel you have taken some pre-reqs already and do not want to re-take them, those courses will be evaluated during advising sessions.   Please note:  many programs have a statute of limitations on coursework. Generally, science courses need to be taken within 7 years to count and math courses must be taken within 10 years to count. Most other courses will be counted (English, history, etc.).

  • Full time enrollment = 12 hours
  • Due to your status as Undergraduate Non-Degree seeking, you will need to apply through Admissions each semester.
  • TUITION - subject to change
  • Please check with Registrar's office for out of state tuition
  • Indiana Residents (as of Spring 2019)

12-18 credit hours            $4,185.50 per semester plus fees
< 12 credit hours              $279.0 per credit hour plus fees



Placement Testing:

Unless you have had courses at your previous institution that can count for the pre-req here, you will need to take a placement test for Math and Chemistry, and be evaluated for math. Even if Math is NOT a pre-req for your program, you will generally need to be at a specific math level for success in Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Please consult advisor for individual situations regarding Math level and readiness for science coursework.

Financial aid

As an Undergraduate Non-Degree seeking student, you are eligible for financial aid in the form of loans only for 12 calendar months. 

You must complete a Non-Degree Pre-Requisite Coursework Verification form for EACH semester that you are taking classes. The form must be signed by your advisor. Please turn in completed form to the IUPUI Financial Aid Office in the Campus Center, Room 250. 317-274-4162. Forms available in the Financial Aid Office or from your advisor.

Register for classes 

Course registration is completed online via your student center at  One.IU.  If you need assistance with the registration process itself, please contact the Registrar's office in the Campus Center Room 250- 317-274-1519.

You will register during Open Enrollment. Check with Registrar's office or your advisor about when you are able to register for classes during the times listed below.

  • March- registration for Summer Sessions I & II and Fall semester
  • October/November - registration for Spring semester
Potential Course Registration Issues and Resolutions:

Blocked Registration- If your previous degree was from an institution outside of the IU system and you have met pre-reqs for courses, the registration system may not recognize those courses.   If this happens and you are blocked from registering, contact Molly Rondeau in the Dean's office at mrondeau@iupui.edu Or 317-274-0672. 

  • If you are blocked from a Chemistry course, contact Marie Nguyen at mlnguyen@iupui.edu
  • Class Permissions - If you need permission for a specific course, please contact Molly Rondeau - mrondeau@iupui.edu or 317-274-0672.  Please include the course section number with any correspondence.
  • Course Drop/Add and Withdrawals:
  • Please follow the university calendar available at the Registrar's office for information on dates for drop/add and course withdrawals.

Advising for students completing pre-reqs for professional programs in the School of Science are advised in PREPs -Pre-Professional and Career Preparation Office. 

  • PREPs-University Tower, Room 200

It is recommended that students meet with their advisor when they arrive at the university to get ensure they are headed in the right direction for the academic and career path and then whenever they would like additional assistance. PREPs offers a variety of academic and professional development services for Undergraduate Non- Degree seeking students including:

  • One on one advising
  • Application assistance including personal statement review, and mock interviews
  • Resources for professional development including shadowing, volunteering, research, and student organizations.

Current med student got his start developing molecules that may help solve third world diseases

Andrew Strong Chemistry, Undergraduate
Give Now