My research focuses on Biology Education, and serves to advance the Department of Biology's commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
My research goals are to develop ways to reinforce the content students are exposed to in lecture, to help students develop the intellectual skills needed to understand science and the scientific process, and to continually establish connections concerning the relationship of biology and science to society.
Recent Active Awards
- Engaging students in authentic interdisciplinary research to enhance quantitative skills (2013) James Marrs, Kathleen Marrs, School of Science Institute for Mathematical Modeling and Computational Science (IM2CS) $5,924
- CSCI 101: CS Principles – A Novel, On-line Learning Experience in Computing (2013) Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Curriculum Enhancement Grant (CEG). Michele Roberts, Kathy Marrs, Snehasis Mukhopadhyay, $12,950.
- Advancing Undergraduate Chemical Education Through Contextualized Organic Laboratories (2011) Martin O'Donnell, Ryan Denton, William Scott, Kathleen Marrs. NSF DUE TUES Phase I: (#1140602) $220,000
- Central Indiana STEM Talent Expansion Program at IUPUI (2010-2014) Principal Investigator: Jeff Watt, Co-PI; Kathleen Marrs, Charlie Feldhaus, Andy Gavrin, Stephen Hundley (NSF DUE #0969500) $1,995,765.00.
- Midwest Noyce Regional Conference at IUPUI (2010-2011) Principal Investigator: Kim Nguyen, Co-PIs: Kathleen Marrs, John Staver, and Signe Kastberg (NSF DUE #1002638) $353,300
- Noyce Summer Internship Program at IUPUI (2009-2011) Kathleen Marrs, Co-PIs: Kim Nguyen, Dwight Schuster Supplement to Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (NSF DUE # 0733788-02) $72,000.
- Strategies for Advancing Math and Science Teaching in High Need Schools: The Midwest Regional Robert Noyce Conference (2008-2009) Kathleen Marrs and Kim Nguyen, Supplement to Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (NSF DUE # 0733788-01) $90,000.
- Urban Educators: Robert Noyce Scholarship for Mathematics and Science Teachers, Phase II (2009-2012) Principal Investigator: Kim Nguyen, Co-PIs: Kathleen A. Marrs, Signe Kastberg, (NSF DUE # 0934555) $599,993
- The GK-12 Urban Educators Program at IUPUI (2008-2013) Principal Investigator: Kathleen A. Marrs, Co-PIs: Simon Rhodes, Pam Crowell, Lenore Tedesco, Andy Gavrin (NSF DUE# 0742475) $2,988,355
- Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (2007-2011) Principal Investigator: Kathleen A. Marrs, Co-PIs: Dwight Schuster, and Kim Nguyen (NSF DUE # 0733788) $749,933
- Urban Educators: Robert Noyce Scholarship for Mathematics and Science Teachers (2005-2008) Principal Investigator: Charlie Barman, Co-PIs: Kathleen A. Marrs, Signe Kastberg, and Kim Nguyen (NSF DUE # 0531598) $486,912
Publications & Professional Activity
See all publications on PubMed.
2013, HHMI National Academies Summer Institute Teaching Fellow
2012, IUPUI School of Science Teaching Award
2010, Women Creating Excellence at IUPUI Recognition
2008, IUPUI Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
2008, Excellence in Teaching Award, National Society of Leadership and Success
2006, IUPUI School of Science Trustees Teaching Award
2005, IUPUI Gateway Scholar, Office for Professional Development
2003, Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET) inductee