IUPUI High School Math ContestThis contest is an opportunity for teachers to supplement their lesson plans and provide students with creative and competitive outlets. Students study patterns, analyze relationships, draft and refine their solutions, and submit their work.
1) Students are not allowed to use the internet for anything other than the Essay Problem. Books can be used for any of the problems.
2) Students are not allowed to receive outside help from anyone (on the individual problems) or anyone not on their team (team problem), while working on the contest. In particular, teachers and parents are only allowed to give "moral support", but nothing else. Of course, teachers are encouraged to explain general problem solving techniques and to illustrate them by working through problems from previous years' contests with their students.
How the contest works
- Contest begins on January 19, 2019 and solutions must be submitted by March 8, 2019 via e-mail at email@example.com or postal service at the address on the bottom of the webpage.
- A coversheet must be included with every submission. 2019 Individual Coversheet & 2019 Team Coversheet
- Questions are meant to be difficult, often requiring several attempts. However, they can be solved using 9-12th grade math problem-solving skills. Several examples of problems and solutions are available at the bottom of this page.
- One essay question on contest's theme - "Math & Medicine".
- Students do not need to complete every question to compete. Moreover 2 or 3 elegant solutions often results in a winning entry.
- Students work on the questions independently (for individual competition) and in groups (for team competition).
- IUPUI faculty and graduate students volunteer over 20 hours to judge all entries based on the following criteria:
- A student's method of finding the solution,
- Correctness of solution, and
- Elegance of solution.
- Winners and participants are invited to campus for the award ceremony April 12, 2019.
- This contest is open to all Indiana high school students (grades 9 - 12)
- 1st Place (1 winner)
- $300 and a full four-year academic tuition scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- 2nd Place (5 winners)
- $150 and a $2,500 per year scholarship for four years to the School of Science at IUPUI.
- 3rd Place: (10 winners)
- $100 and a $2,500 per year scholarship for four years to the School of Science at IUPUI.
How the contest enhances student engagement
- The High School Math Contest is an opportunity for teachers to supplement their lesson plans and provide students with creative and competitive outlets.
- Student participants study patterns, analyze relationships, draft and refine their solutions, and submit their work.
- Request more information for the 2019 math contest or call (317) 274-6918