PAs work in a number of fields of medicine. They often practice in primary care as well as trauma, surgery, the surgical sub-specialties and all other areas. PAs can become experts and earn multiple specializations throughout their careers based on their experience working under the given type of physician or in the given setting in which they specialize.
Physician Assistants are comprehensively trained in a variety of fields including:
- Conducting physical exams
- Diagnosing and treating illnesses and injuries
- Ordering and interpreting lab tests and x-rays
- Counseling on preventative health care
- Assisting in surgery
- Writing prescriptions for medicine
- And more
Like most universities, IUPUI does not offer a pre-physician assistant major because PA schools do not require students to complete specific majors. However, many majors in the School of Science at IUPUI provide students with excellent undergraduate preparation for medical school.