Peggy S Stockdale Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Psychology
Primary Appointment: Psychology
PhD 1990, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Kansas State University
M.L.S. 2007, Legal Studies, Southern Illinois University
M.S. 1986, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Kansas State University
B.S. 1983, Psychology, Frostburg State University
Awards & Honors
Fellow, American Psychological Association, Division 9 (Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues), 2007; Division 14 (Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology), 2015
Margaret "Peggy" Stockdale (Ph.D. 1990, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Kansas State University) is Professor of Psychology and Chair, Department of Psychology at IUPUI. She is the co-author and co-editor of five books, including The Psychology and Management of Workplace Diversity (Blackwell, 2004), and Sex Discrimination in the Workplace: Multidisciplinary Perspectives (Blackwell, 2007). She has also published widely in research journals and books on sexual harassment, sex discrimination and public health initiatives. She has served as an expert witness for both plaintiffs and defendants in sex discrimination cases. Dr. Stockdale teaches courses on workplace diversity, industrial-organizational psychology, applied social-science research methods. Dr. Stockdale is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology and the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues.
American Psychological Association
Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
Academy of Management
Psychology of Women Quarterly, (2008-2010)
Member, Editorial Board:
Journal of Vocational Behavior (1993 to 1998; 2001 to 2010)
Sex Roles (January, 2004 to present)
Equal Opportunities International (January, 2006 to present)
Analysis of Social Issues and Public Policy (October, 2006 to present)
Psychology of Women Quarterly (January, 2007 to present)
Gender in Management – An International Review (July 2008 to present)
Advisory Board: Praeger book series “Women and Careers in Management” (August, 2009 to present)
B358 - Introduction to I/O Psychology
B203 - Ethics and Diversity in Psychology
B433 - Capstone Laboratory in Psychology
1. Exploring the stereotypes of women in STEM careers.
2. Department climate for gender equity in STEM disciplines.
3. Unpacking the gender wage gap.
4. Sexual harassment judgments - mediators of women and feminists perceptions of weak cases
- Stockdale, M. S., Logan, TK, Sliter, K.A. & Berry, S. (2014). Interpersonal Violence Victimization and Sexual Harassment: A Prospective Study of Revictimization. Sex Roles. Doi: 10.1007/s11199-014-0377-5.
- Nadler, J. T., Berry, S. A., Stockdale, M.S. (2013). Familiarity and Sex Based Stereotypes on Instant Impressions of Male and Female Faculty. Social Psychology of Education, 16, 517-539. doi 10.1007s/s11218-013-9217-7.
- Nadler, J. T., Bartels. L. K., Sliter, K. A., Lowery, M. R., & Stockdale, M.S. (2013). Research on the discrimination of marginalized employees: Fishing in other ponds? Industrial Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 6, 66-69.
- Stockdale, M. S., & Nadler, J. T. ( 2012). Paradigmatic assumptions to disciplinary research on gender disparities: The case of occupational sex segregation. Sex Roles, 68, 207-215.
- Nadler, J. T., & Stockdale, M. S. (2012). Workplace Gender Bias: Not Just Between Strangers. North American Journal of Psychology, 14, 281-292.
- Stockdale, M. S. & Nadler, J. T. (2012). Situating Sexual Harassment in the Broader Context of Interpersonal Violence: Research, Theory and Policy Implications. Social Issues and Policy Review, 6, 146-174.
Crosby, F. J. Stockdale, M. S. & Ropp S. A. (Eds.) (2007). Sex discrimination in the workplace: Multidisciplinary perspectives. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
Bisom-Rapp, S., Stockdale, M. S., & Crosby, F. J. (2007). A Critical Look at Organizational Responses to and Remedies for Sex Discrimination. In F. J. Crosby, M. S. Stockdale & S. A. Ropp (Eds.), Sex discrimination in the workplace: Multidisciplinary perspectives. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
Crosby, F. M., & Stockdale, M. S. (2007). Understanding Sex Discrimination: Introduction to Sex Discrimination in the Workplace. In F. J. Crosby, M. S. Stockdale & S. A. Ropp (Eds.), Sex discrimination in the workplace: Multidisciplinary perspectives. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
Stockdale, M. S. (2005) The sexual harassment of men: Articulating the approach-rejection distinction in sexual harassment motives. In J. E. Gruber & P. Morgan (Eds.) In the Company of Men: Re-Discovering The Links Between Sexual Harassment and Male Domination. Pp 117-142. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
Gutek, B. A., & Stockdale, M.S. (2005). Sex discrimination in employment. In F. Landy (Ed.) I/O Psychology and Employment Discrimination Litigation. I/O Professional Practice Series. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.