Murat Dundar Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
- BS - Electrical & Electronics Engineering Bogazici University Istanbul Turkey 1997
- MS - Electrical & Computer Engineering Purdue University West Lafayette Indiana 1999
- PhD - Electrical & Computer Engineering Purdue University West Lafayette Indiana 2003
Dr. Dundar's area of expertise is in machine learning and data mining with a special focus on non-parametric Bayesian models and inference, learning with partially-observed data, online and offline class discovery and modeling. His research is mainly driven by real-world problems in computer aided diagnosis/detection, hyper-spectral data analysis and remote sensing, bio-detection, flow cytometry data analysis, information retrieval, and topic modeling.
- Murat Dundar, Ferit Akova, Yuan Qi, Bartek Rajwa, “Bayesian Nonexhaustive Learning for Online Discovery and Modeling of Emerging Classes,” In John Langford and Joelle Pineau (Eds.), Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML'12), Edinburgh, Scotland, June 26-July 1, 2012 (pp. 113-120). Omnipress, 2012.
- Murat Dundar, Sunil Badve, Gokhan Bilgin, Vikas Raykar, Olcay Sertel, Metin N. Gurcan, “Computerized Classification of Intraductal Breast Lesions using Histopathological Images”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 58(7):1977-1984, 2011.
- Ferit Akova, Murat Dundar, V. Jo Davisson, E. Daniel Hirleman, Arun K. Bhunia, J. Paul Robinson, Bartek Rajwa, “A Machine-learning Approach for Label-free Detection of Unmatched Bacterial Serovars”, Statistical Analysis and Data Mining Journal, 3(5):289-301, 2010.
- Murat Dundar, Matthias Wolf, Sarang Lakare, Marcos Salganicoff, Vikas Raykar “Polyhedral Classifiers for Target Detection: A Case Study: Colorectal Cancer”, In Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2008), pp.288-295, Helsinki, July 2008.
- Murat Dundar, Jinbo Bi, “Joint optimization of cascaded classifiers for computer aided detection”, In Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR ‘07), Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 18-23 June 2007. IEEE Computer Society 2007. (Oral paper, acceptance rate: 5%)
- Murat Dundar, Balaji Krishnapuram, Jinbo Bi, Bharat Rao, “Learning from Non-IID Data”, In Proceedings of the 20th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2007), Hyderabad, India, January 6-12, 2007.
Awards & Honors
- 2010 Best Scientific Paper Award in Biomedical and Bioinformatics Applications Track, International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR’10), awarded by International Association of Pattern Recognition
- 2009 Data Mining Practice Prize, “Mining Medical Images”, by Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)