Kathleen A Marrs Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Dean's Office
Associate Professor, Biology
Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Program
Director, Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellowship Program
1995 Postdoctoral Fellowship Stanford University, Palo Alto CA
1993 Postdoctoral Fellowship Sandoz Agro Biotechnology, Palo Alto CA
1990 Ph.D. Biological Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago IL
1984 B.A. Biology Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington IL
My research focuses on Biology Education, and serves to advance the Department of Biology's commitment to excellence in teaching and learning. My research goals are to develop ways to reinforce the content students are exposed to in lecture, to help students develop the intellectual skills needed to understand science and the scientific process, and to continually establish connections concerning the relationship of biology and science to society.
Recent Active Awards
- Engaging students in authentic interdisciplinary research to enhance quantitative skills (2013) James Marrs, Kathleen Marrs, School of Science Institute for Mathematical Modeling and Computational Science (IM2CS) $5,924
- CSCI 101: CS Principles – A Novel, On-line Learning Experience in Computing (2013) Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Curriculum Enhancement Grant (CEG). Michele Roberts, Kathy Marrs, Snehasis Mukhopadhyay, $12,950.
- Advancing Undergraduate Chemical Education Through Contextualized Organic Laboratories (2011) Martin O'Donnell, Ryan Denton, William Scott, Kathleen Marrs. NSF DUE TUES Phase I: (#1140602) $220,000
- Central Indiana STEM Talent Expansion Program at IUPUI (2010-2014) Principal Investigator: Jeff Watt, Co-PI; Kathleen Marrs, Charlie Feldhaus, Andy Gavrin, Stephen Hundley (NSF DUE #0969500) $1,995,765.00.
- Midwest Noyce Regional Conference at IUPUI (2010-2011) Principal Investigator: Kim Nguyen, Co-PIs: Kathleen Marrs, John Staver, and Signe Kastberg (NSF DUE #1002638) $353,300
- Noyce Summer Internship Program at IUPUI (2009-2011) Kathleen Marrs, Co-PIs: Kim Nguyen, Dwight Schuster Supplement to Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (NSF DUE # 0733788-02) $72,000.
- Strategies for Advancing Math and Science Teaching in High Need Schools: The Midwest Regional Robert Noyce Conference (2008-2009) Kathleen Marrs and Kim Nguyen, Supplement to Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (NSF DUE # 0733788-01) $90,000.
- Urban Educators: Robert Noyce Scholarship for Mathematics and Science Teachers, Phase II (2009-2012) Principal Investigator: Kim Nguyen, Co-PIs: Kathleen A. Marrs, Signe Kastberg, (NSF DUE # 0934555) $599,993
- The GK-12 Urban Educators Program at IUPUI (2008-2013) Principal Investigator: Kathleen A. Marrs, Co-PIs: Simon Rhodes, Pam Crowell, Lenore Tedesco, Andy Gavrin (NSF DUE# 0742475) $2,988,355
- Advance Urban Learning: Teach Science (2007-2011) Principal Investigator: Kathleen A. Marrs, Co-PIs: Dwight Schuster, and Kim Nguyen (NSF DUE # 0733788) $749,933
- Urban Educators: Robert Noyce Scholarship for Mathematics and Science Teachers (2005-2008) Principal Investigator: Charlie Barman, Co-PIs: Kathleen A. Marrs, Signe Kastberg, and Kim Nguyen (NSF DUE # 0531598) $486,912
- Adler J, Bringman L, Judd M, Marrs KA, Wells C (2013) Day as a Pathologist: Utilization of Technology to Guide Students in Exploring Careers in Breast Cancer Pathology. American Biology Teacher. 75(8):559-565. 2013
- Blazek J, Cooper GL, Judd M, Roper RJ, Marrs KA (2013) Trying out genes for size: experiential learning in the high school classroom. American Biology Teacher 75(9):657-662. 2013
- Schuster DA, Buckwalter J and Marrs KA (2012) Aligning University-Based Teacher Preparation and New Teacher Support. Science Educator, 21(2):39-44
- Redelman CV, Hawkins MAW, Drumright FW, Beverly Ransdell B, Marrs KA, and Anderson GG (2012) Inquiry Based Examination of Chemical Disruption of Bacterial Biofilms. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 40(3):191-197.
- Redelman CV, Marrs KA, and Anderson GG. (2012) Discovering Biofilms: Inquiry Based Activities for the Classroom. American Biology Teacher, 74(5):305-309.
- Hundley SP, Feldhaus CF, Marrs KA, Watt JX (2011) Developing a STEM Talent Expansion Pipeline in Higher Education: A Work-in-Progress. PICMET proceedings, July 2011
- AllenJR, Buckingham JE, Roper RJ, Marrs KA (2010) How Middle School Students Come Face to Face with Down Syndrome Research. Science Scope, 33:20-25, January 2010
- Marrs KA (2009) Just-in-Time Teaching in the Biological Sciences; Simkins, S.P. & Maier, M.H. (Eds.). Just-in-Time Teaching Across the Disciplines. p. 81-99. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing LLC
- Marrs KA and Chism GW III (2005) Just-in-Time Teaching for Food Science: Creating an Active Learner Classroom. Journal OF Food Science Education, 4:27-34.
- Rutledge M, Sadler K, and Marrs KA (2005) Instructor’s Resource Guide for Biology: Understanding Life (Alters, Sandra and Brian), John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken NJ.
- Marrs KA (2004) “How do you know what your students know? Determining Student Prior Knowledge Using Web-based Warm Up Exercises.” in: “Quick Hits For New Faculty: Teaching Strategies Aimed At First-Time Faculty”, IU Press, Bloomington IN, p 67-70.
- Gavrin A, Watt JX, Marrs KA, and Blake RE, (2004) Using the Web to Enhance Classroom Learning with Just-in-Time Teaching. Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XIV (2)51-60.
- Marrs KA and Novak G (2004) Just-in-Time Teaching in Biology: Creating an Active Learner Classroom Using the Internet Cell Biology Education, 3:49-61.
- Marrs KA (2004) Determining Student Prior Knowledge and Misconceptions using Web-based Warm Up Exercises. In: Teaching Tips: Innovations in Undergraduate Science Instruction. Eds. Marvin Druger and Linda Crow, Society for College Science Teachers SCST Monographs, Special 25th Anniversary Issue, ISBN: 0873552458.
- Gavrin AD, Watt JX, Marrs KA and Blake RE (2003) Just-in-Time teaching (JiTT): Using the Web to Enhance Classroom Learning. Proceedings of the 2003 American Society for Engineering Education 3220:1-13.
- Marrs KA, Gilman S, Rhoton J (2003) NSTA Position Statement: The Importance of Teaching in Tenure and Promotion. Date of Adoption by NSTA: March 28, 2003.
- Marrs KA, Blake RE and Gavrin AD (2003) Use of Internet Based Warm Up Exercises to Determine Students’ Prior Knowledge and Misconceptions in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Journal of College Science Teaching, 33(1):42-47.
Awards & Honors
2013 HHMI National Academies Summer Institute Teaching Fellow
2012 IUPUI School of Science Teaching Award
2010 Women Creating Excellence at IUPUI Recognition
2008 IUPUI Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
2008 Excellence in Teaching Award, National Society of Leadership and Success
2006 IUPUI School of Science Trustees Teaching Award
2005 IUPUI Gateway Scholar, Office for Professional Development
2003 Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET) inductee