Jiang Yu Zheng Ph.D.
Professor, Computer Science
Director of Center for Visual Information Sensing and Computing
BS: Computer Science Fudan University 1983
MS: Control Engineering Osaka University 1987
PhD: Control Engineering Osaka University 1990
Awards & Honors
Zheng received 1991 Best Paper Award from the Information Processing Society of Japan for generating the world's first digital panoramic image. He also received the Excellent Paper Award from the Japan Society of Art and Science in 2000 for his development of a graphics tool to extract human motion from video. His paper to ACM VRST2004 is recognized as one of the five best papers for IEEE TVCG publication.
Dr. Zheng specializes in the areas of image and video computing, multimedia, computer vision, virtual reality, mobile applications, intelligent transportation, etc. His current research interests include dynamic image and video sensing, large scale scene representation, 3D reconstruction and recognition, and multimedia indexing and interfaces. His pioneer works including panorama and route panorama images have largely contributed to the geographical information retrieval. His other works on 3D model acquisition using different visual cues and their applications in digitizing and visualizing cultural heritage have also been recognized widely. In addition, he has worked on mobile robot navigation and intelligent vehicle systems based on environmental sensing and understanding. His projects have been supported by NIJ, NSF in Japan as well as other private foundations. Dr. Zheng has published over one hundred papers in prestigious journals and peer reviewed international conferences. He has also served as program committee for many international conferences.
Before joined IUPUI, Dr. Zheng was with ATR Communication Systems Research Laboratory during 2000-2003, and worked at Kyushu Institute of Technology in Japan from 1993 to 2001 as an associate professor. He has been visiting professor at UCSD and MSU in US, guest professor at Osaka University and National Institute of Information Communication Technologies (NICT) in Japan, and adjunct professor at Beijing University in China. Dr. Zheng is a senior member of IEEE.
- Data structure (Undergraduate)
- Multimedia (Undergraduate)
- Image procession and computer vision (graduate)
- Video profiling for browsing and indexing based on major flow extraction
- Probability modeling of potential traffic dangers using In-car video
- 3D digitization of tire and shoe impressions for forensic investigation
- Large area urban scene visualization using route panoramas
- A. Jazayeri, H. Cai, J. Y. Zheng, M. Tuceryan, Vehicle Detection and Tracking in Car Video Based on Motion Model, IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems, 12(2), 583-595, 2011.
- H. Cai, J. Y. Zheng: Key views for visualizing large spaces. (Elsevier) Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation 20(6): 420-427 (2009)
- J. Y. Zheng, M. Shi: Scanning Depth of Route Panorama Based on Stationary Blur. (Springer) International Journal of Computer Vision 78(2-3): 169-186 (2008)
- J. Y. Zheng, Y. Zhou, and P. Mili: Scanning Scene Tunnel for City Traversing. IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graph. 12(2): 155-167 (2006)
- J. Y. Zheng, Digital Route Panorama, IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 10, No. 3, July-Sept. 57-68, 2003
- J. Y. Zheng: Virtual Recovery and Exhibition of Heritage IEEE Multimeia. 7(2): 31-34 (2000)
- J. Y. Zheng, A. Murata: Acquiring a Complete 3D Model from Specular Motion under the Illumination of Circular-Shaped Light Sources. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 22(8): 913-920 (2000)
- J. Y. Zheng, Acquiring 3D models from sequences of contours. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 16(2), 163-178 (1994).
- J. Y. Zheng, S. Tsuji: Panoramic representation for route recognition by a mobile robot. (Springer) International Journal of Computer Vision 9(1): 55-76 (1992)