School of Science Announces its 2014-2019 Strategic Plan
INDIANAPOLIS— The School of Science at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis today released its strategic plan for 2014-2019. The plan includes the school’s vision, mission, strategic objectives, action items and outcomes.
“This strategic plan for the IUPUI School of Science was developed by faculty, staff, students, alumni and advisors in collaboration with our community partners,” said Simon Rhodes, dean of the school. “We are grateful for the unique learning and innovation environment in the School and at IUPUI. We are proud of the remarkable impact of our graduates and our research in Indiana and globally. Together we will build on this success to achieve the goals described in this plan.”
To achieve its vision, the School of Science has established strategic objectives to:
- INNOVATE – We will strengthen our position as leaders in life and health sciences, in computational and mathematical approaches, and in STEM education and service. We will be internationally recognized leaders in generating new scientific and mathematical knowledge, including in basic research, applied research, in teaching and in service.
- ENGAGE – We will provide educational and research programs that best serve our community. We will facilitate relationships and beneficial partnerships with members of the community.
- DEVELOP – We will nurture the development of faculty to ensure the highest quality education experience for our students and to generate meaningful and impactful research. We will employ the highest quality staff to ensure that we improve our ability to recruit, educate, and retain students, perform the best research, secure funding and operate efficiently.
- EDUCATE – We will enhance our position as leaders in undergraduate STEM education where students gain real-world experience as scientists and leaders. Our graduate programs will be internationally recognized for students who have a deep appreciation of their areas of study, substantially expand the School’s research abilities, are optimally prepared to shape its future and have the needed expertise for our state and nation.
- COMMUNICATE – We seek to accurately communicate who we are to the local and broader communities, to increase discourse among ourselves, and to disseminate our research and teaching advances. Enhanced communication will support all aspects of the plan objectives by improving understanding and awareness about our research and educational programs; strengthening our ability to recruit the best students, staff and faculty; bolstering our ability to garner collaborators and grant support for our research; and facilitating partnerships in all aspects of our mission.
The full plan is available online at science.iupui.edu/sites/default/files/iupuisciencestrategicplan_web.pdf.
The School of Science at IUPUI is committed to excellence in teaching, research and service in the biological, physical, behavioral and mathematical sciences. The school is dedicated to being a leading resource for interdisciplinary research and science education in support of Indiana's effort to expand and diversify its economy.
Media ContactsCandace Gwaltney
Associate Director of Communications