IUPUI High School Math Contest
2016 High School Math Contest
How the contest enhances student engagement
- The High School Math Contest is an opportunity for teachers to supplement their lesson plans and provide students with creative and competitive outlets.
- Student participants study patterns, analyze relationships, draft and refine their solutions, and submit their work.
How the contest works
- Contest questions and poster to advertise the contest are emailed to Indiana high schools
- Questions cover 9-12th grade math problem-solving skills and one question essay
- Students work on the questions independently and mail in their solutions
- IUPUI faculty and graduate students volunteer over 100 hours to judge all entries based on the following criteria:
- A student's method of finding the solution
- Correctness of solution
- Elegance of solution
- Winners and participants are invited to campus for the award ceremony every April
- This contest is open to Indiana high school students (grades 9 - 12)
- The 2017 High School Math contest will be announced January 2017
PrizesIn order to receive the scholarship, the winner must be directly admitted to the Purdue School of Science at IUPUI, major in any discipline in the School of Science, and attend full-time. These scholarships are renewable for four years, subject to certain requirements.
- 1st Place (1 winner)
- $300 and a full four-year academic tuition scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- 2nd Place (5 winners)
- $150 and a $2,000 scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- 3rd Place: (10 winners)
- $100 and a $2,000 scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- Request more information for the 2017 math contest or call (317) 274-6917