IUPUI High School Math Contest
THE 2017 IUPUI HIGH SCHOOL MATH CONTEST IS NOW OPEN
How the contest works
- Contest begins in mid-January and solutions must be submitted by March 10, 2017
- Students and teams are required to submit solutions to questions along with a cover sheet
- Questions cover 9-12th grade math problem-solving skills and one question essay
- Students do not need to complete every question to compete
- Students work on the questions independently and mail in their solutions
- IUPUI faculty and graduate students volunteer over 100 hours to judge all entries based on the following criteria:
- A student's method of finding the solution
- Correctness of solution
- Elegance of solution
- Winners and participants are invited to campus for the award ceremony every April
- This contest is open to Indiana high school students (grades 9 - 12)
PrizesIn order to receive the scholarship, the winner must be directly admitted to the Purdue School of Science at IUPUI, major in any discipline in the School of Science, and attend full-time. These scholarships are renewable for four years, subject to certain requirements.
- 1st Place (1 winner)
- $300 and a full four-year academic tuition scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- 2nd Place (5 winners)
- $150 and a $2,000 scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
- 3rd Place: (10 winners)
- $100 and a $2,000 scholarship to the School of Science at IUPUI
*In order to receive the scholarship, the winner must be directly admitted to the IUPUI School of Science and be a full time major in any discipline within the School of Science.
**Scholarships in the amount of $2,000 per year will be awarded to the remaining cash prize winners who are directly admitted to the IUPUI School of Science and attend full time. These scholarships are renewable for four years, given satisfactory academic performance. Winners may receive only one scholarship from the School of Science for winning the contest. but are still eligible for other campus-based scholarships.
How the contest enhances student engagement
- The High School Math Contest is an opportunity for teachers to supplement their lesson plans and provide students with creative and competitive outlets.
- Student participants study patterns, analyze relationships, draft and refine their solutions, and submit their work.
- Request more information for the 2017 math contest or call (317) 274-6924