Science Ambassadors: Volunteer Overview
Volunteer for the School of Science at IUPUI!
- Meet new people
- Contribute to the School’s growth through strategic recruitment efforts
- Develop personal leadership and communication skills
- Gain service experience for résumé
- Participate in a student panel discussion for prospective students
- Lead a tour of the School of Science facilities for prospective students
- Greet prospective students at recruitment events
- Make phone calls to prospective students
- Assemble promo folders and recruitment mailings
- Join a marketing or event committee
DO I HAVE THE RIGHT SKILLS?
- Completed at least 1 semester at the IUPUI campus (for panelists and tour guides)
- Must be in good standing with the university
- Proud of being part of the School of Science and interested in recruiting students
- Enthusiastic about sharing experiences with prospective students and their families
- Possess positive communication and teamwork skills
- Dependable, reliable, and punctual
- Must be flexible (opportunities often arise with little notice)
- Ability to build relationships with diverse groups of people
- Passionate about assisting students, families, faculty and staff
- Represent the School of Science to the best of your ability
WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF ME?
- Volunteers must complete an application online: http://science.iupui.edu/volunteer
- Volunteers should complete a volunteer training session as soon as possible*
- No minimum time requirement, but volunteers should expect to work 2-6 hours per month
- Participation in multiple events is strongly encouraged
- Volunteers should plan on attending the School of Science portion of a spring recruitment event (JagDays or Spring Preview) as soon as possible to become familiar with the format and key messages.
- More information: http://science.iupui.edu/undergraduate/admissions/visit
- No need to register, but please email Jon Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know you will be in attendance
- Upcoming dates:
- JagDays: 9/9, 9/26, 10/24
- Science Open House: 10/5, 11/9, 11/30
- Health and Life Sciences Open House: 10/27
*Volunteer trainings will take place on an as-needed basis. Students may go ahead and volunteer prior to completing the training, but will be more confident and prepared afterwards. Check schedule online.
Volunteer management is supported by